NO REAL NEWS: A Look At What Didn’t Happen This Week | news


A round-up of some of the week’s most popular, but totally untrue, stories and pictures. Neither of these are legitimate, despite having been widespread on social media. The Associated Press checked it out. Here are the facts:


Posts falsely claim that vaccinated American Airlines pilots died in flight

CLAIM: In two recent flight incidents at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, American Airlines pilots died of myocarditis caused by the COVID-19 vaccine.

THE FACTS: These incidents did not occur, an American Airlines spokesman confirmed in an email to The Associated Press. Thousands of social media users shared a scary article this week that falsely claimed to provide evidence of why “annoyed pilots shouldn’t fly.” The article contained two examples of incidents alleged to have occurred on American Airlines flights from DFW to Fort Myers, Florida and DFW to Los Angeles. It claimed that one pilot suffered cardiac arrest in-flight and the other “started cramping and vomiting” in flight, and both died before the planes landed. The article attributed both deaths to myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that has very rarely been linked to the COVID-19 vaccines. Both pilots would have recently received their second doses of COVID-19 vaccine. In a final claim, attributed to an anonymous source, the article said there have been “at least 12 non-fatal incidents involving pilots who recently took the jab”. These claims are “all false,” American Airlines spokeswoman Whitney Zastrow confirmed in an email to the AP. An internet search reveals the claims that surfaced last month on RealRawNews, a website that contains: a disclaimer that it contains “humor, parody and satire”. A similar story circulated last month falsely claimed A Delta Airlines pilot who was recently vaccinated died in flight. Both Delta Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration have confirmed they were not aware of any incidents matching this description. Very rarely, adolescents and young adults given the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines have experienced the serious side effects of myocarditis. It occurs mainly in young men and teenage boys, and usually after the second dose. Even if people developed myocarditis after receiving the vaccine, their condition was usually mild and recovered quickly. the AP reported.

– Associated Press Writer Ali Swenson in New York contributed this report


Priest in widespread video collapsed but did not die

COMPLAINT: A video shows a priest vaccinated against COVID-19 suddenly dying during a live stream.

THE FACTS: The priest collapsed during mass but did not die, according to Church Facebook videos in Acapulco, Mexico. The priest stood in front of his congregation the following day, and additional videos from inside the church were shown later that month. Social media posts falsely claimed that a one-minute video clip showed the priest suddenly dying from the side effects of the vaccine while presiding over a church service. The clip of the collapsing priest has been circulating online at least since then September 3, and appeared in several Spanish-language news releases on September 4th. The church is broadcasting some of its services live on its Facebook page. While the church called Parroquia Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Reina de México doesn’t seem to have a video of September 3 on its site, it does have a video of September 4thin which the same priest appears before his congregation. In the video, the priest addresses the congregation in Spanish and refers to the “incident from yesterday”. He thanks God for standing up and says that on the recommendation of the doctors, he will take a few days off to see what is wrong with his health. Videos Posted by the Church later show the same priest again in front of his congregation in September. It was not initially clear whether the pastor had been vaccinated against COVID-19. The church did not respond to an email asking for more information.

– Associate press writers Ali Swenson in New York and Abril Mulato in Mexico City contributed to this report.


Pelosi didn’t buy a $ 25 million Florida mansion

CLAIM: Photo shows a $ 25 million home that House spokeswoman Nancy Pelosi bought in Florida.

THE FACTS: Pelosi’s office said there was “no such pending sale” and the brokerage firm that listed the property also confirmed that the buyer is not the speaker. Various posts, which went widespread on Facebook and Twitter, falsely claimed to show a photo of a $ 25 million Florida home that Pelosi bought. The photo comes from an ad for a 10,000 m² property by the sea on South Beach Road on Jupiter Island. A Pelosi spokesman denied the claim, denying that she was considering moving to Florida. “This information is inaccurate,” Pelosi deputy chief of staff Drew Hammill said in an email to The Associated Press. “There is no such pending sale, nor is the family looking for or interested.” Beth Bourque, owner of Southern Shore Properties, the brokerage company that listed the property, said the house was under contract and confirmed that the buyer is not Pelosi or her family. “It’s a rumor that is floating around and it just keeps getting bigger,” said Bourque. A representative of the person who bought the property also told the AP that the buyer was not Pelosi but someone who lives nearby. Pelosi isn’t buying either, he added another high end home on South Beach Road, which was also recently sold. “It is not related to any of the buyers or sellers,” said Rob Thomson, owner of Waterfront Properties.

– Associated Press Writer Angelo Fichera of Philadelphia contributed this report.


Fox News was not banned from the UK, contrary to false claims made online

CLAIM: Fox News has been banned from working in the UK for promoting right-wing “propaganda”.

THE FACT: UK regulators have not banned Fox News from working in the area. Fox News voluntarily stopped broadcasting in the UK in 2017 after failing to cultivate a sufficient audience. Posts claiming that Fox News has been “banned” from the UK for “propaganda” are widespread on Twitter. But these claims are false, according to Fox News and British officials. Former Fox News parent company, 21st Century Fox, announced in August 2017 that Fox News would cease broadcasting in the UK due to the station’s low viewership. A Fox News spokesperson referred The Associated Press to a statement that 21st Century Fox released at the time. 21st Century Fox has since been taken over by Disney. “Fox News is aimed at the US market and designed for a US audience and accordingly has an average of only a few thousand viewers a day in the UK,” the statement said. “We have concluded that it is not in our commercial interests to continue to deliver Fox News in the UK.” Ofcom, the agency that regulates the UK communications industry, confirmed that Fox News has not been banned from the region. In November 2017, months after Fox News withdrew from the UK, Ofcom discovered that the broadcaster had violated its rules of impartiality earlier this year. Ofcom quoted the January 2017 report on former President Donald Trump’s travel ban from several Muslim-majority countries on the program “Hannity”. according to an agency bulletin. “Tucker Carlson Tonight” also violated the same rules when she reported on the terrorist attack in Manchester in May 2017, the agency decided. However, that regulator’s determination was again unrelated to Fox News’ withdrawal from the region, which had happened earlier.

– Associated Press Writer Josh Kelety of Phoenix contributed this report


Posts mistakenly link civil action to Ghislaine Maxwell criminal case

ALLEGATION: Recently unsealed court documents show a list of defendants, including some celebrities, who were named “co-conspirators” in Ghislaine Maxwell’s crime.

THE FACT: The list of defendants is not part of the ongoing criminal case against Maxwell. It comes from a now dismissed civil action this is separate from Maxwell’s impending trial. Social media users circulate a month-old list of names and companies, falsely claiming they are co-conspirators in Maxwell’s criminal case because they are is preparing for the trial On charges, she has induced underage victims to have unwanted sex with recently disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, her former boyfriend. However, the list arose in a separate civil lawsuit filed in August 2020 and dismissed as “frivolous” less than a month later. The dismissed civil suit named nearly 40 defendants, including Epstein, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Kanye West, Disney and the Universal Music Group. Maxwell was added to the list as the 31st defendant. The lead plaintiff alleged that over 30 years the defendants had conspired to “illegally monitor, use drugs and kidnap” for “sexual assault, sex trafficking and other exploitative abuse” and a “sales contract” to purchase the plaintiffs from your mother. US District Judge Louis L. Stanton for the Southern District of New York dismissed the lawsuit on the grounds that it had no legal or factual basis and that the plaintiff, who appeared not to be an attorney, had claims on behalf of. raised others, according to the dismissal warrant. Some social media users circulated excerpts from the court documents, falsely claiming that they were recently unsealed documents from Maxwell’s criminal case. But two different cases – the civil suit and the Maxwell criminal trial – are merged. Maxwell was arrested in July 2020 after a grand jury accused her on several federal charges. US District Judge Alison J. Nathan will lead Maxwell’s criminal case in Manhattan Federal Court. In addition, no such list of “co-conspirators” was published in Maxwell’s case. And Nathan made it clear that there will be no attribution at the trial, saying that only certain pages of an address book that investigators have confiscated – which includes a section with the alleged victims – will serve as evidence, according to previous AP reports will. The trial is expected to begin on November 29th. Maxwell has pleaded not guilty on their charges and denied wrongdoing. Epstein killed himself in a federal prison in August 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking allegation.

– Associated Press Writer Sophia Tulp in Atlanta contributed this report.


Find AP fact checks here: https://apnews.com/APFactCheck


Follow @APFactCheck on Twitter: https://twitter.com/APFactCheck

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed in any way without permission.



Comments are closed.